+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "RECHARGD" 1974 Dodge Charger Build Up

FNG

"RECHARGD" 1974 Dodge Charger Build Up

Howdy All,

I decided mid last year that I needed a new project to keep me happy, after selling both my Evo 7 & 1955 Ford F100 projects to fund the opening of my car audio store. I was initially looking at Camaros, Barracudas, GTO's, Chevelles & earlier Chargers.

I put the word out on a few web forums I frequent, that I was looking for a new project. Plenty of people replied with their clapped out bunkies that needed most of the metal replaced, but nothing caught my eye.

In September last year, I was contacted by a local guy here in Perth that had "mint" charger he was trying to sell in a hurry. He told me all about it and I got a little excited over it. After a couple of weeks of playing phone tennis with him, I finally got the chance to meet with him and the car.

This is what I was confronted with...

An overall tidy and straight car, but not exactly as described. It needed the floor to be replaced and a hell of a lot of body work down the left hand side.

Long story short, I said I wasn't interested at his advertised price (too much to repair) and kept searching. A few weeks later, the guy was getting pretty desparate to sell and I lowballed him... We came to an agreement on the price and 2 hours later, my mate, "Gerrin the Towie" was towing it back to my workshop.

That night, I managed to get it running and driveable. It did its first and only skid before dropping the transmission internals all over the driveway. For the next few weeks, it sat in the workshop in the corner.

Then one day I decided to actually do a bit of work on it. I ripped the interior out and started stripping the body down to inspect how much rust was actually in it.

At first glance, I thought I bought a complete rust bucket, but after I started peeling back the layers of sound deadener, insulation & 35 years of crap under the carpet, I was pleasantly surprised. I only needed to replace a small section of the floor behind the drivers seat and the rest was pretty good. As a precaution, I decided to buy a complete reproduction floor from AMD to make it nice and neat.

For the past 9 months it has been sitting in the workshop waiting for the long list of parts to arrive. Finally, bits and pieces have been making it through. Due to the remoteness of Perth, it takes anything from 2 weeks to 6 months to receive parts ordered from the USA.

I now have most of the interior trim pieces, I have new glass, new seats, new weather stripping & seals and boxes full of the little bits that we never think about when rebuilding cars like this.

The ultimate outcome of this build was quite simple. It had to look good, go hard, turn corners, be reliable & comfy enough to drive long distance and do big skids. The parts list had to be all top quality, but still on a reasonable budget.

The specs list is as follows:

Chrysler SRT 6.1ltr Hemi V8 & NAG1 5spd Auto
    FAST XFI Engine Management & Data Logger
    PCS Transmission Controller & Paddle Shifter
    Whipple 2.9ltr Intercooled Supercharger (10psi)
    Scotts Hotrods IFS & Power Steering
    Scotts Hotrods 4 Link Rear End with 9" Wavetrac Diff
    Wilwood 14" Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors (Front) & 12.19" Rotors (Rear)
    Willwood 6 Piston Calipers (Front) & 4 Piston Calipers (Rear)
    SAAS Kombat Front Bucket Seats (Rebolstered & Retrimmed in Black Leather)
    Custom Retrimmed Interior
    Decent Stereo Install (In place of the rear seats)
    Rear Half Cage (integrated into the body & chassis for strength)
    Vintage Air Heating & Air Con System

I will take as many photos as I can during the build and continually update this thread as I go.

My expected completion deadline is end of April 2013 and I plan to take it out and put on a skids show at Targa West 2013

Rob.
    Last edited by Volatile Rob; 11-28-2013 at 01:40 AM.

FNG

Um.

YES.
    Now if only I could find detroit muscle over this side of our sunburned country.

It's all over your side. LOL
    Quite cheap over there too.
    9 grand for a V8 Manual '69 Mustang in ok condition. lol

I do like the whole new engine conversion - but.. how about adding a Turbo to that Hemi instead of a blower?
    You'd make more power mid range and high end, but also be more economical on the road than a 2.9 litre blower.
    But I guess the blower would be insta-torque.
    And you wanna use it as a corner muncher.. haha
    Last edited by AusMarty; 11-17-2012 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Spellungz.

Seeing as I have a 74 Roadrunner I am very curious how this turns out

FNG

Quote Originally Posted by AusMarty View Post
    Um.

YES.
    Now if only I could find detroit muscle over this side of our sunburned country.

It's all over your side. LOL
    Quite cheap over there too.
    9 grand for a V8 Manual '69 Mustang in ok condition. lol

I do like the whole new engine conversion - but.. how about adding a Turbo to that Hemi instead of a blower?
    You'd make more power mid range and high end, but also be more economical on the road than a 2.9 litre blower.
    But I guess the blower would be insta-torque.
    And you wanna use it as a corner muncher.. haha
    Hey Mate,

I considered going twin turbos, but I got an awesome deal on the supercharger that I just couldn't pass up. Plus as you said, instant torque is always nice Have you got any details on that $9k mustang for sale???

I get the car back from the panel shop this week, so I'll post a few more pics up.

Next stage is seam welding and body/chassis strengthening. The engine, blower & suspension should be all arriving in the next few weeks, so I want it all ready to go so that I can start bolting it together.

Rob.

FNG

Was a '69 Fastback 4 Speed 302.

Sold heaps fast, he had 8 of them for sale - all different, all legit too.

Wish I had the money at the time. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Volatile Rob View Post

I will take as many photos as I can during the build and continually update this thread as I go.

My expected completion deadline is end of April 2013 and I plan to take it out and put on a skids show at Targa West 2013

Rob.

what is targa west? where is it located?!

FNG

Quote Originally Posted by dangina View Post
    what is targa west? where is it located?!
    Hey Mate,

The Targa West event is our local once a year 4 day rally cross event that is done on closed race circuits and also closed public roads. It is made up of professional race teams and also amateurs as well. I have competed once before in my Mitsubishi Evo 7 and had an absolute blast in the process.

Unfortunately, the cost of the event is out of reach of most amateur competitors (between $5000 & $15000 entry fee depending on which class you wish to enter). Plus then you have vehicle costs, accomodation, tyres etc, etc.

It is located in Western Australia and usually spread out over a 300 mile distance if you add all the stages and travel time together.

http://targawest.com.au/

Rob.

FNG

So I get the Charger back from the panel shop tomorrow... Went down there today and took a couple of pics. I'm very happy with the outcome.

The painter found a little bit of rust on top of the bonnet and the roof that was a bit more than just surface rust. He ended up stripping the roof and bonnet back to bare metal, then repaired the rust, treated the bare metal with rust proofing and then sprayed it with primer to match the rest of the car.

The bumpers came up a treat and fit the car much better now, especially now that they have been tucked back into the body. I also had the bumpers smoothed to make them look more like they are part of the body.

I'll get some more pics up tomorrow when i get it back, but here is a couple of happy snaps I took with the iPhone today.

I'll chuck some more pics up tomorrow when I get it back to the workshop.

Next up we will start the chassis bracing and the interior, while we wait for the suspension, steering, brakes, engine, trans, diff, wiring & computers to arrive from the USA...

The dash, centre console & the rest of the interior is going to be completely custom fabricated and blended into the rest of the interior to give it a more modern feel, without loosing the muscle car styling.

Rob.
    Last edited by Volatile Rob; 11-26-2012 at 01:41 AM.

Hotchkis Mopar Guy

Very cool! Looks like a good starting point.

Really nice...I like your project!!!
    Project "PRO RUNNER" - 1971 Plymouth Road Runner Pro Touring
    408 Stroker SB (500+HP / 520ft.), EFI, Keisler A41 4-Speed-Automatic, 3.73 gears, Wilwood 14"-6 Piston front / 12.19"-4-Piston rear, AlterKtion with airride, Street-Lynx rear suspension with airride, 19"/20" Budniks, Custom interior, and much more...

FNG

Jealous mate, haha - I just sold my VG coupe - now picking up a '73 HQ well body - wondering - how do you go about tucking bumpers?
    Do you shorten the brackets, or what do you do exactly?

FNG

Howdy All,

Time for an update.

More parts are starting to trickle through now.

Engine, Trans and Supercharger Kit have now arrived.

I'm still waiting for the suspension, steering, brakes and diff to arrive... They won't be here until late March now, so Racewars isn't looking like its going to be on the cards this year. But it does give me more time to go over the top in my usual style.

Last weekend I removed the original dashboard. It was surprisingly easy to remove and I managed to do it without cutting a single wire. As I am converting to RHD, I looked at my options for the new dash.

I found a complete dash out of an Aussie CL Valiant Charger on gumtree.com a while back and decided to buy it. I figured I could modify it to fit, as it was highly unlikely it would fit straight in. Well, to my surprise, it fit straight in and bolted up to the original bolt holes! The curvature of the dash vs the windscreen is slightly off, but hardly noticeable. So I have a RHD dash that fits straight in. Am I happy? NOOOPE!!! Me being me (& with the new extended time frame), I am going to build a complete custom dash from scratch using MDF and fibreglass. From there, I will then build custom door panels, rear side panels & a custom centre console to match the dash. I figure it will give me a chance to show off some of my fibreglass and custom work skills that I rarely get to use these days (no one will pay the money for quality work anymore).

Anyway, heres the interior with the dash out.

And the two dash boards

This is a template I made for the shaping of the new dash. I drew it free hand first, then cleaned the lines up using some routering templates I have, then I cut it out with a jigsaw & then I routered off a few copies. It turned out quite close to the original dash shape. Believe it or not, that was not my intention... but it just suits the car so well.

Other than that, I have been busy seam welding and adding support to the chassis where I can. I need to get my new hoist sorted out in the next two weeks as it is driving me nuts trying to work under it with it on jack stands.

I'll post some more pics of the dash once it starts to take shape.

Happy new year to everyone!!!

Rob.

Great build mate. look forward to seeing it built then maybe in some local press when its done
    https://www.facebook.com/CornerCarvingMopars

Ben
    -383 Valiant for track work
    -55 dodge Kingsway for cruisin

Subscribed

FNG

Howdy All !!!

It's been a while between posts, so I thought it's about time I updated it.

Since the last post, I haven't really had much time to work on the car due to work commitments.

But, good news is that I finally got my vehicle hoist set up after having it sit in the workshop for a couple of months unassembled. I forgot how handy it is to have a hoist.

Since my last post, I have only managed to have enough time to do remove the engine, trans, K-Frame, drive shaft, diff & strip out the remainder of the underbody.

I am still waiting for my parts to arrive from Scott's Hotrods. Unfortunately, I was meant to receive the suspension, brakes, steering, diff & weld-in K-Frame by March this year, but they took their merry time getting it all built. After 9 months of phone calls, emails & excuses, I'd pretty much had enough, so I gave them a firm deadline & had the guys from Mid Fiftys Parts (Arizona) drive out and pick them all up. As we couldn't get a proper invoice or inventory of the items, I can only hope that all of the parts have been supplied correctly and as described. The parts are now sitting in a shipping container at Mid Fiftys with my next project vehicle (1955 Ford F100 Panel Van). The shipping container is due to land here in Perth, Western Australia on the 24th Jan 2014. After 12 months of waiting, I seriously can't wait to get stuck into the Charger.

I have also been ordering a few other bits and pieces while I have been waiting.

I received the PCS Transmission controller & Paddle shifter for my NAG1 Transmission. The kit includes the PCS Trans ECU, Plug n Play Wiring Harness, CANBUS Interface & Connectors, Speed Sensor Adaptor & preloaded NAG1 control map. The quality of this item is amazing and Russell @ Sound German Automotive (who designed the kit & programming) has been amazing with answering every little question I have come up with. I highly recommend him!!!

I also finally made up my mind on the wheels. I ended up going with Ridler 695 Chrome 20 x 8.5" Fronts & 20 x 10" Rears. I have mocked them up in the wheel wells and they really suit the car. I got a ridiculously cheap price on them delivered to my door which I could not refuse. They aren't my first choice of wheel, but they will definitely do the trick until my custom KMC wheels arrive (yet to be ordered)

I also had a bit of a play around to make sure the engine, trans & supercharger were all going to fit in the engine bay & under the hood... There is literally 1 inch clearance between the headers & the chassis rails either side... Plenty of room!!!

This means I will have to run the steering shaft between the headers & the engine block. I will also need to run a remote oil filter set up to allow enough clearance for the steering shaft.

As soon as I receive the rest of the parts, I will put aside a couple of weeks and go nuts on putting it all back together so that I can get it signed off by the DOT engineers and registered.

Other than that, unfortunately I don't have much more to report.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends out there!!!

Rob
    Last edited by Volatile Rob; 11-29-2013 at 12:58 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast