+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Pro touring" a 1967 Plymouth Satellite

FNG

"Pro touring" a 1967 Plymouth Satellite

Hello all...
    I'll use my first official thread to both introduce myself here and introduce my project. After owning many various sports or muscle car types in my 27 year driving "career" I was in the mood for a change. Even though many of my cars spent time on the drag strip they all shared one thing in common - they all went around corners well. I was never a big fan of having to slow down to turn so the "bigs-n-littles" crowd never held any appeal. Although we have a few modern muscle or "sports" cars in the garage I was really looking to satisfy my desire for a 60's muscle car with a modern touch. Obviously Mopar's are tops when it comes to muscle cars and have major attitude so my search was narrowed quite a bit.

I found a 1967 Plymouth Satellite waiting for me in a garage, under inches of dust. The owner had pulled it in the garage as a young man, disassembled the drivetrain and suspension, met a girl, got married, moved away, had kids - moved on. The Satellite sat in his mom's garage, untouched for nearly 3 decades when he decided it was time to let go of his dream and give mom more space in the garage. Up on Craigslist it went and I was the first contestant when I called within minutes of the ad going online. I assembled some friends who were Mopar fanatics and we arrived an hour later to find an extremely clean car on blocks with all it's parts stacked underneath. Many people might have thought about how much additional work it would be to put it back together - but we all thought it was great having most of the disassembly work done for us already! After wiping down the car we couldn't get over how nice the body was. Here in Ohio many cars have rust after only a few years. We hit it off with the family and soon had a deal despite all the calls and emails they were getting from the ad. It was a challenge to move the car as it was, and took a couple trucks to carry all the parts and extras (he had all the originals minus the stock 318, plus 3 sets of BB heads, a couple of 440 blocks, headers, 8-3/4 Sure Grip 742, BB K-member, 727, etc. and etc.)

I've had the car for about a year now and have made steady progress on the plan so far. Enough progress that I believe I can start this thread as a true Pro Tour build. My two oldest boys helped by removing the interior (seats, carpet, console, dash, glass, headliner, door panels, etc.) My two friends (the ones that were there at the start) have been there all along. We built a rotisserie and have devoted a few days a month to work on the car. We all have wives and kids that are active in sports etc. so we do what we can, when we can.

Questions, comments and advice are always welcome. While this isn't our first Mopar build this is our very first Pro Tour car. This site and a couple others have helped us form our plan. Thanks for reading.

And here are a few photos;

Here it sat for nearly 3 decades.

The car finally sees sunlight again.

New home.

The hood untouched - how dusty the whole car looked when we first met.

My 11 year old working on seat belt bolts.

My 8 year old sweeping out 40 year old dirt.

My four on the right. Two neighbor boys on the left.

On the rotisserie.

Many nights worth of undercoating scraping ahead of us.

At media blasters.

XV subframe connectors - great fit.

AlterKtion in primer.

Tacking the 4 link crossmember and subframe connectors.

Prepping for splitting the wheel tubs.

Fitting the 4 link and Dana 60/Moser axles/Detroit Locker

Measuring, measuring, measuring, measuring and remeasuring.

Next on the list: cutting/modifying the tunnel for the Tremec T600 (Keisler pkg)...

...and installing the Wilwood hubs/rotors to finally make it a roller.
    Last edited by Flys-Lo; 11-29-2012 at 09:18 PM.

out of the 70+ Mopars I have owned over the years, the one that still haunts me is a 67 Satellite 383 4spd I bought for $150 and absolutely loved. Unfortunately youth destroyed the car and I have always regretted it. This is a awesome built, I will follow along if for no other reason than the memories. Good luck and I am sure it will be a lot of fun.

Watts link going in the rear?

Wow, what a beautiful survivor, nearly a shame to repaint it, nearly. Cant wait to see it done. looks hot already !
    https://www.facebook.com/CornerCarvingMopars

Ben
    -383 Valiant for track work
    -55 dodge Kingsway for cruisin

Looks like a good thread so far mate, I'm subsribed, interested to know if you got a watts linkage on that too? Is that rear end a kit?

FNG

I love the 66-67 B bodies and you are off to an incredible start, looking forward to following along

FNG

Quote Originally Posted by 70chall440 View Post
    out of the 70+ Mopars I have owned over the years, the one that still haunts me is a 67 Satellite 383 4spd I bought for $150 and absolutely loved. Unfortunately youth destroyed the car and I have always regretted it. This is a awesome built, I will follow along if for no other reason than the memories. Good luck and I am sure it will be a lot of fun.
    Thanks for the compliment. I was always a fan of the 68's and up and frankly didn't know much of anything prior. Just towing this the few miles home I got many thumbs up and quite a few comments. I constantly hear that the 66-67's are favorites from a lot of guys. After looking around for the last year I see a lot of them either restored back to factory specs or as dedicated drag cars. I've only seen two online that could be considered a pro tour or restomod build. It's definitely grown on me.

FNG

Quote Originally Posted by 72BBSwinger View Post
    Watts link going in the rear?
    No, it's a panhard setup.

FNG

Quote Originally Posted by v8val View Post
    Wow, what a beautiful survivor, nearly a shame to repaint it, nearly. Cant wait to see it done. looks hot already !
    Thanks. It was a base model, 318, auto and was originally 2-tone maroon with silver lower - some of the original color is visible in the trunk and under the rustproofing in the photos. So... it already had a repaint right before being put away in the early 80's. In my mind it's a perfect candidate for this type of build / improvement. I'm pretty sure that if I put a GTX badge on it and a couple of hood scoops I'd get a lot of dirty looks and comments about cutting up a piece of history - but I think it's all good with this one.

FNG

Quote Originally Posted by Boony405hp View Post
    Looks like a good thread so far mate, I'm subsribed, interested to know if you got a watts linkage on that too? Is that rear end a kit?
    It's not a watts and yes it's a kit. After reading up on all the usual options I found that Martz Chassis hit all the right buttons for what I wanted and the price was right. We've run into a small glitch here and there with it but nothing unexpected since we knew going in that there was some fabrication involved. Gary Martz has been great to deal with and very cooperative and accommodating with some changes we needed after the fact in dealing with the Dana 60 which is quite a bit different than an 8-3/4. Overall satisfaction is high so far.

Inspirational
    Attached Images

FNG

Quote Originally Posted by 72BBSwinger View Post
    Inspirational
    Agreed!

Very nice score. The 66-67 cars are actually very comapct and light weight for a B body. You have managed to get a very nice example of one.

You haven't mentioned it yet, but do you have plans for enlarging the rear wheel wells? The biggest drawback fo the 66-67 B bodies is limited rear tire space.

FNG

Quote Originally Posted by HP2 View Post
    The biggest drawback fo the 66-67 B bodies is limited rear tire space.
    What? Really? I don't know why you'd say that. I've seen guys running 14 inch wide or more on the back.

Seriously though... you're right, I want to go as wide as possible back there - even if I have to use specialty - fine tuned - instruments such as a B.F.H. The plan is to split the tubs and open them up as much as possible. We'll be wedging as much tire between the frame and body as possible. I want to retain the back seat as well so it's an interesting dilemma. As clean as the car is there is one trouble spot and it requires a new outer wheelhouse on the passenger side. I'm on the hunt but can't find anything pre-68. Actually might buy an AMD for a 68 and see about modifying it.

Great project! Sure was a stroke of luck to find such a solid car! Good for you!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast