+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a carb (and maybe teach me a thing or two about them)

Help me pick a carb (and maybe teach me a thing or two about them)

I'll be building the stroker for the runner, will be daily driving it in the cold spring and fall months as well, hitting up the local autox and maybe some roadcoarse (about 10 events/year). I have 3:55 gears, manual tranny and manual brakes. Seeing how the car will see more city driving than autox action, I would like to fit a car of my needs. I have 2 carbs rights now, a 750holley dp and a 750 edelbrock with vaccum secondaries.

I don't know alot about carbs other than the 750 is about what I need for the 470 stroker, and I would like an electric choke for the colder climate. We live in a area where its dry most of the year(even in the winter months) but the temps can down to -10 degrees celcius.

My questions for you guys is this:

would you reccomend a carb with vaccum secondaires for the street for a stroker even if I have manual?
    and loaded question - would you buy a holley, demon, edelbrock or other?! who has the best throttle response?

I used this one on my 451"
    http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/c...m-drag-an.html

I don't need a choke as I don't drive it in winter. I do start it up from time to time in the winter to lkeep oil up in the engine. I just feather the throttle to keep it running for a minute or so. I've had various Holleys, Demon's and this carb has been the best hands down. Tuneability is amazing! VERY responsive too. I'd recomend a fuel/air ratio gauge to tune it with.
    IMO 750 is too small for any BB stroker?

Quote Originally Posted by Brads70 View Post
    I used this one on my 451"
    http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/c...m-drag-an.html

I don't need a choke as I don't drive it in winter. I do start it up from time to time in the winter to lkeep oil up in the engine. I just feather the throttle to keep it running for a minute or so. I've had various Holleys, Demon's and this carb has been the best hands down. Tuneability is amazing! VERY responsive too. I'd recomend a fuel/air ratio gauge to tune it with.
    IMO 750 is too small for any BB stroker?
    I was just using their calculators and at 470 with the prms upto around 6200 is about 716 for the street. 927 if i was all out racing it which I'm not. I looked into the quickfuel, your the first I know who has one, by the way how much was it? I can't find any prices on the website? Why do you need a air/fuel guage? wouldn't you need a a 02 sensor as well? i had never used a wideband for a carb'd car, only fuel injection. But I do have one sitting on a shelf....

the electric choke like i say, here in southern alberta we get chinooks (like right now) during the winter months with a temp around 0 degrees but all the roads are dry, i would of taken out the runner today to work if it was finished so I'm thinking having the electric choke would be a good thing.

what are your thoughts on vaccum secondairies? they say they are for street cars, which is what it will be used for, but I don't know of anyone is running them, are they that bad?

Really like my Silver Claw (before Holley sued them) 750 double pumper on my 416 stroker. Very instantanous throttle response.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 02-01-2013 at 11:52 PM.
    Spring Fling XXVII
    May 11 & 12, 2013
    Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA
    Thrus: Track Day, Fri: Caravan, Malibu Cruise,& Kickoff Party, Sat: Cruise-In
    www.cpwclub.com ....

Spring Fling Speed Festival
    May 9, 2013
    Largest Mopar Track day in the country five years running
    All Mopars welcome: New, old, AMC...
    Newbies welcome. We will have instructors on hand
    Lunchtime free parade laps
    Info: www.alltimeracing.com
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72p5vVwjRkk

For what you want, 750 is just fine in my opinion... Electric Choke... you bet!

Quote Originally Posted by dangina View Post
    I was just using their calculators and at 470 with the prms upto around 6200 is about 716 for the street. 927 if i was all out racing it which I'm not. I looked into the quickfuel, your the first I know who has one, by the way how much was it? I can't find any prices on the website? Why do you need a air/fuel guage? wouldn't you need a a 02 sensor as well? i had never used a wideband for a carb'd car, only fuel injection. But I do have one sitting on a shelf....

the electric choke like i say, here in southern alberta we get chinooks (like right now) during the winter months with a temp around 0 degrees but all the roads are dry, i would of taken out the runner today to work if it was finished so I'm thinking having the electric choke would be a good thing.

what are your thoughts on vaccum secondairies? they say they are for street cars, which is what it will be used for, but I don't know of anyone is running them, are they that bad?
    I bought it off E-Bay, not cheap $600 plus .... came with the AN fuel lines ( fuel log?)
    Proform and Quickfuel are the same company, both have much more adjust-ability than your standard Holley. Screw in air-bleeds and every hole in the metering block also has screw in insets.

Vacuum secondaries are more for economy . Another reason I went with a DP is I knew the engine vacuum would be low due to the cam I went with. Sure the engine will run with a 750cfm but I was looking for maximum power with my combo. Also consider what the factory 4BBL CFM's were on our engines stock. I'm pretty sure they were all bigger than 750cfm, especially the 6 packs. I'm no "expert" I too asked a lot of people on other Mopar forums and they all said 850 on any BB Mopar?
    The air/fuel ratio gauge came with a O2 sensor.
    FYI I only have 290 miles on my new drivetrain before winter came , but I'm getting 17MPG's so far.....

If your on a budget I have a 750CFM vac secondary carb(3310) sitting here with a fresh rebuild kit in it I could lend you?

I run an Edelbrock Thunder Series 800CFM electric choke carb on my 383 in the Coronet. Works great even with the big solid lifter cam. I did have to change the step up spring to keep the metering rods down since I only pull about 7" vaccum at idle but its been a great carb for me here in MI. AFR was about right right out of the box but I did have to fatten it a little at WOT just to be safe. Easy to dial in with the edelbrock tuning kit and I don't have to crack open fuel bowls and spill fuel all over my intake to tune it. Definetly a big plus in my book. Changing secondary opening rate is as easy as twisting a screw. No springs needed or diaphragms to worry about pinching either. I would defiently recommend it.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Brads70 View Post
    I bought it off E-Bay, not cheap $600 plus .... came with the AN fuel lines ( fuel log?)
    Proform and Quickfuel are the same company, both have much more adjust-ability than your standard Holley. Screw in air-bleeds and every hole in the metering block also has screw in insets.

Vacuum secondaries are more for economy . Another reason I went with a DP is I knew the engine vacuum would be low due to the cam I went with. Sure the engine will run with a 750cfm but I was looking for maximum power with my combo. Also consider what the factory 4BBL CFM's were on our engines stock. I'm pretty sure they were all bigger than 750cfm, especially the 6 packs. I'm no "expert" I too asked a lot of people on other Mopar forums and they all said 850 on any BB Mopar?
    The air/fuel ratio gauge came with a O2 sensor.
    FYI I only have 290 miles on my new drivetrain before winter came , but I'm getting 17MPG's so far.....

If your on a budget I have a 750CFM vac secondary carb(3310) sitting here with a fresh rebuild kit in it I could lend you?
    17mpg would be awesome! also thanks for the offer! I'll be buying a new one with an electric choke - just gonna do more research, I just sold one of my carbs - If I sell the holly I'll be around the 600 mark and it will be new! I'm sick and tired of running old/used/rebuilt carbs that give you nothing but grief. It will be the first carb I ever bought new and I'd like something that performs well outta the box that i can set it and forget about it! I hear Demons are just glorified holley's, eddy's seem to work great on stock engines but don't compare with holley on the bigger builds(from what I have read) The Proform/quick fuel with annular boosters seem to be the ticket...

you mention about low vacuum with the cam your running, thats why your running a DP, aren't you running manual brakes? why would you want more vacuum?

I think the double pumper gives you that quicker throttle response. When I'm cruising down the highway, just a little bit of gas pedal movement will get the car to react immediatly.
    Spring Fling XXVII
    May 11 & 12, 2013
    Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA
    Thrus: Track Day, Fri: Caravan, Malibu Cruise,& Kickoff Party, Sat: Cruise-In
    www.cpwclub.com ....

Spring Fling Speed Festival
    May 9, 2013
    Largest Mopar Track day in the country five years running
    All Mopars welcome: New, old, AMC...
    Newbies welcome. We will have instructors on hand
    Lunchtime free parade laps
    Info: www.alltimeracing.com
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72p5vVwjRkk

Quote Originally Posted by dangina View Post

you mention about low vacuum with the cam your running, thats why your running a DP, aren't you running manual brakes? why would you want more vacuum?
    I was thinking with very little vacume then a vac secondary carb would be a pain in the butt to adjust/get right. The DP does work better IMO?

thanks for the info guys! now i just gotta get my block in and get started on this build!

I would look into this
    http://www.atomicefi.com/home.aspx
    1970 Dodge Challenger SRT Convertible 6.1 Hemi 6-Speed

EFI if you have the loot to spend but to your original question..... Holley HP. I would run a 950. Do NOT run vaccum secondaries. Autoxcuda hit it on the head. Better performance and response with DP. I would never run a VS on anything.

FNG

IMO Proform or Quick Fuel are the best bang for the $$
    The math doesn't work , I use 2x the CI for carb sizing so minimum would be 850 , 750 will be to small , I also agree double pump is best .
    If you can handle the cost EFI rules , vacuum is no issue it will idle like it is stock even with a long duration race cam in it , far more tunable yet than any carb

i ran an 850 d/p on my 383 with a single plane and small cam with no issues-the torque was outstanding, that being said get an a/f gauge and tune it with air bleeds and emulsions- i have been doing this as of late on my daily driver and the difference is amazing from a non adjustable carb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast