+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What does a 26" Mopar brass/copper rad weigh?

What does a 26" Mopar brass/copper rad weigh?

Anyone have one around to weigh up? Just curious as to how my aluminum rad compares?

why? having troubles?
    Build thread!!!http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex

Sort of.... I'm ditching my second electric fan set up. Just not enough airflow while sitting in traffic, going back to a engine fan set up. I bought this.... http://www.ebay.ca/itm/251621994532?...84.m1497.l2649
    I'll take the weight penalty if there is one. I'm sick of watching the temp gauge.

What electric fan set up are you running Brad? I set my Duster up with a Ford Contour dual electric set up, works great on my Duster with a 26" aluminum radiator. More than enough airflow to keep my 340 cool, and its not a mild build.
    '74 Duster- '71 340 Demon tribute
    '72 Challenger (daily driver!)
    '71 DartGT EL5 (#65 in the GT registry)
    '71 DartGT GK6 ( #69 in the GT registry)

thats why I'm sticking to a mopar performance clutch fan (also same fan found on 84-91 318 motors). I want the car to be bullet proof. I'll keep the electric setup for my race car..
    Build thread!!!http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex

I have twin derales and a Griffin Nascar rad. 2x1.5" tubes is the way to go. The car will actually cool down sitting at a stop and idling.

I got talked into this "trick" set up from a vendor at Carlisle. EC-70 http://rainbowproductsonline.com/new-products.php
    The controller is the issue , it sometimes doesn't kick into high speed. I have heating issues while sitting in traffic on hot days.
    The C&R nascar rad I bought looks nice. It's a double pass rad but not in the traditional way. The coolant goes in and looking down at the top of the rad it goes across the back of the rad first then around to the front then out the bottom rad hose. Should cool nice I hope. The core measures 26wX22hX3.5 thick. It's the dual 1.5 tubes Overall it's 29.5 wx 22.5 high x4" thick couldn't fit anything bigger with out major surgery. It has a higher fin count as well.
    I bought a 18" Derale H/D flex fan rated for 10,000 RPM's s. I always worry about them coming apart and Derale rated there stuff when others did not. I also bought a Mopar 26" shroud.
    I had a Chevy HHR fan on for a couple years with the same issues in traffic, so I'm hopeful this set up will solve the heating issues.

The Radiator is the key. Thick fat tube core is what will make all the difference. If anyone is running an aluminum rad with 1" tubes, goodluck. Derale make a bunch of different fan modules that all flow 3600-4000 cfm. I have a relay to each fan and one controlled by the efi and one switched from an inline temp sender in the lower hose. No controller necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by 72BBSwinger View Post
    The Radiator is the key. Thick fat tube core is what will make all the difference. If anyone is running an aluminum rad with 1" tubes, goodluck. Derale make a bunch of different fan modules that all flow 3600-4000 cfm. I have a relay to each fan and one controlled by the efi and one switched from an inline temp sender in the lower hose. No controller necessary.

I sure hope so my two other aluminum rads did have 1" tubes. I was looking at the Derele electric fan modules but mechanical fans always work. No electronics to fail.

I don't run anything that fancy on mine, just a 26" Champion radiator with a Ford Contour dual electric fan. I use a Dakota Digital controller. Keeps everything cool, and even when its 100*F out here the fans don't run continuously. It's set up off of a dual relay through the controller, which is programmable for low speed and high speed on and off. I don't even have a 26" radiator support, just 22" for the opening. With my high volume water pump and the Contour set up the 340 stays at whatever temp I set the fans for.

I did hear of an issue with the Mopar Performance fan clutches coming apart at higher RPM's awhile back, there's a few guys out there that will only run the OE parts and not the MP replacements. But I wouldn't know, my challenger just has an aftermarket flex fan, and the Duster's set up as above.
    '74 Duster- '71 340 Demon tribute
    '72 Challenger (daily driver!)
    '71 DartGT EL5 (#65 in the GT registry)
    '71 DartGT GK6 ( #69 in the GT registry)

Looks good.

+ Reply to Thread