+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: put on hold for to long. my 73 cuda

put on hold for to long. my 73 cuda

had my cuda since about 1992. ripped it apart around 2002-4 for a quick restore then it sat. between work, life, other car builds just didn't have the time to build it the way i wanted to, until now. i got a lot of work ahead of me but I'm determined to finish it.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JdbdAx]

the donor car 2014 dodge charger rt

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DvacHi]

just ordered my alterkation k-frame this week
    new set of fenders from amd
    going to try to fit the dash, gauge cluster, stereo and everything else i can use except the air bags and abs.

for now just going to fit the engine and trans in first to see if / how much i need to change the tranny tunnel. i already got an idea for the tranny crossmember.
    ill try to post up pictures of stuff that I'm doing.
    wish me luck.
    chris
    Last edited by cps; 01-03-2018 at 04:09 PM.

these are the tail lights i'll be using.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/237bgz3]

i had printed a piece in this picture that will be bonded to the original tail light housing then the new led tail light will mount to that.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DvaQDx]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/237bgiw]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DvaQsR]

the blue piece is printed in a low resolution just to test fit. the final pieces will be hi-res abs and bonded with body panel adhesive. the stuff is strong and should be water tight.
    the tail lights are very bright and I'm thinking about sanding the raised areas flat with some 2000 grit then adding a little black paint to some clear and tinting them a bit so when there off they will blend in with the black tail panel.

let me know what you think. opinions welcomed
    Last edited by cps; 01-03-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Sorry mate but I have only negative comments about those lights they look like they should be on a boat trailer. But hey I do love those 73 cudas.

no problem 44TVF, and i have to agree with you. I'm not 100% sure about them yet. but i think once i sand them flat and tint them a bit they will look a lot better i hope. also i don't like the the recessed areas around the mounting holes, I'm going to fill them in with some resin or epoxy before i tint the lights or maybe print up some trim rings to fit around the light and hide the bolt holes, not sure yet. but thanks for your input.

while waiting on the alterkation kit to arrive i figured i'd order the new oil pan from summit. but i noticed the milodon 31000 pan has no provision for my factory oil dipstick. The 2014 hemi that i have out of the charger has the oil dipstick going into the oil pan on the passenger side. it looks like there is a place for a oil dipstick through the block on the drivers side. anyone know if dodge used a factory dipstick on the drivers side through the block on other cars or maybe the trucks?

* did some quick searching and it looks like the 2014 dipstick out of a dodge ram will work and should clear the factory exhaust manifolds. about $50 new from dodge maybe $15 on eBay...
    also found some info about using the milodon oil pan and pick up. just some little things like the oil pan flange might be a little thicker on the factory oil pan causing the factory pan bolts to bottom out. the oil pickup tube might mount to the #3 main stud and not the #1 main, so those may need to be swapped. but ill confirm this when i got it opened up.
    Last edited by cps; 01-17-2015 at 11:23 AM.

Well i figured id pull my k-frame out while i am waiting for the new alterkation k-frame to show up. I started to remove the bump stops and it looks like ill be removing a bit more then the bump stops, found a decent amount of rot on my driver side frame rail. Haven't really checked the passenger side yet, just got disgusted and had to walk away from it for a bit.

anyone have any experience with after market frame rails? AMD Goodmark any others ?

gotta look up some frame dimensions also.

On the bright side I got my oil pan, windage tray and gaskets yesterday. Everything except the oil pick up, thats on back order.

Yep, my pickup is still delayed on back order too

If you need front frame rails, I have a 73 340 Cuda front assembly. Inner fenders, frame rails and 26" radiator opening.
    1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe Pro touring build
    Gen III hemi, A-833 4 speed, CANbus integration

Leader of the Hemi Swap Technical Database project

thanks for the offer smallfishbigpond, i just ordered a set of frame rails from AMD. if they don't fit good i'll see if you still have yours. might be a while think they are on back order also. how long have you been waiting on your oil pickup?

got an email today from summit racing that my oil pick up tube for the center sump 31000 series milodon oil pan was still on back order and was not expected to ship until mid to late February. so i called milodon direct to see what was up. he said they had a problem on the materials supply end and should start shipping on the 12th or 13th. good thing i called because i also found out i had ordered the wrong pick up. the pick up i ordered 18331 was for the center sump 31000 pan but for 2008 and below 5.7. the 18341 is for 2009 and up 5.7 hemi.
    so in case anyone else is going to order a oil pick up:

pre 2008 = mil-18331
    2009 and later = mil-18341

through summit racing that is

got some parts in this week. oil pump pick up in the mail yesterday, picked up the dipstick from dodge dealership today and 5 boxes from rielly motor sports via ups. still have a long wait on the frame raills but i have a some stuff i can work on this weekend.
    Last edited by cps; 02-11-2015 at 06:13 PM.

another trip to the dodge dealership today. had to pick up an oil pickup support stud. the 2014 5.7 hemi out of the charger i picked up didn't have one, kinda knew it didn't but wanted pull the oil pan first before i bought one.
    i was going to put the new pan and stuff on today but man it was real cold out, maybe tomorrow.

oil pickup support stud - 6506333-AA

can any one confirm the torque specs on the main cap bolts?
    torque to 10 ft lbs, then 20 ft lbs, then tighten an additional 90 deg.

I have to say the taillights really jump out at you... I went a different direction in that I pulled apart the stock lights and inserted a LED panel inside them, then used the stock housing so they bolt in like factory units.
    Current Mopars - 01 Viper GTS ACR, 70 Challenger 440-6, 73 Cuda (AAR clone/road racer), 70 Hemi Roadrunner, 01 Ram 4x4 1500, 52 B3B 330 Desoto Hemi, 05 Hemi Durango, 10 PCP Challenger RT 6spd, 91 Stealth RT, 09 Caliber, 14 Ram 2500 Hemi, 76 Dodge 700

On another note, congrats on getting going. I have been working on mine for years... LOL.
    Current Mopars - 01 Viper GTS ACR, 70 Challenger 440-6, 73 Cuda (AAR clone/road racer), 70 Hemi Roadrunner, 01 Ram 4x4 1500, 52 B3B 330 Desoto Hemi, 05 Hemi Durango, 10 PCP Challenger RT 6spd, 91 Stealth RT, 09 Caliber, 14 Ram 2500 Hemi, 76 Dodge 700

thanks, haven't got much done lately, its been real cold. should have put heat in the garage this past summer...
    i got my alterkation front end in last week, sold my factory k frame and put a couple of bucks back into my pocket. i was thinking about maybe keeping the abs from the charger, so i took apart the front hub from the charger to see if i could use the tone ring off the hub only to find out the front hub doesn't have a tone ring on it. it has a speed sensor but no tone ring... how in the world does the abs system work without a tone ring? i took the dust cover off thinking maybe it was behind that and nothing there, removed the seal just to find grease and ball bearings. kinda stumped.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast