+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: put on hold for to long. my 73 cuda

ran a couple more lines. waiting on 2 front to rear lines from summit, and a distribution block from ebay. still don't have any front calipers guess I should find something soon..

i was looking at the front hub today and I think I can machine the hub down a bit to fit the rear tone ring on it.... gonna take it apart tomorrow and take some measurements to see where it would end up and how much would have to be machined off to make it work. also think I might be able to use the factory tone ring on the rear axles as well, if it works it will make the communication with the abs so simple ...... I hope.

Very cool.
    Current Mopars - 01 Viper GTS ACR, 70 Challenger 440-6, 73 Cuda (AAR clone/road racer), 70 Hemi Roadrunner, 01 Ram 4x4 1500, 52 B3B 330 Desoto Hemi, 05 Hemi Durango, 10 PCP Challenger RT 6spd, 09 Caliber, 14 Ram 2500 Hemi, 68 Cuda

I got some 6061 aluminum pieces in the other day and a set of new rear tone rings. The plan is to throw them in my friends lathe and turn them down so the rings can be installed over them just like the factory charger axle, then open up the center so it can be pressed over the 8 3/4 axle between the bearing and the axle flange. The aluminum is 3/4" wide and will most likely be cut down a bit to locate the reluctor ring between the axle flange and brake components for clearance, if that makes any sense ? I will have to remove the axle and press off and on the bearing to install it also to replace the ring in the future or a wheel stud. The fronts will be similar in theory just a bigger hole in the center and I'll have to turn down the hub a bit to be able to press the ring on the hub. But I think it will solve my wheel speed issue. now I just have to find the time to do it, and keep my fingers crossed that it works. more pics to come.

should look something like this

Last edited by cps; 06-23-2018 at 08:47 PM.

I picked up a cheap harbor freight mini lathe the other day so I could build them myself when I have time. it seams to work well enough for what I need to do. made a little progress yesterday.

so I installed the tone ring on the adapter I made, still have to bore out the center to fit over the axle, I'll do that while the axle is out. ran into a problem that I didn't anticipate , the tone ring will clear the T-bolts by a fraction of a millimeter, but not gonna clear the nuts. and I need to get the ring as close to the axle housing so I have as much room as possible for the sensor to clear the brake rotor.

took out one of the T-bolts cut it down some and tightened it down with a standard grade 8 nut. thread lock will be used if I go this route .

gotta measure some more but I might have enough room for the sensor now.

other options might be to find a smaller diameter tone ring, tap the axle end housing and install bolts towards center of the axle ?
    anyone have any suggestions or ideas ?

so I got a pair of tone rings today that are a bit smaller, still 96 poles like the oem dodge tone ring.
    dodge ring compared to t-bolt holes :

smaller tone ring from Peugeot Citron :

it fits inside the bearing housing so it should clear the t-bolt nuts
    side by side :

part number for anyone interested :

did one axle today, would have done both but one of the tone rings was bent. have three more tone rings on the way, 2 spares for the rear.

looking at it now, I might get rid of that 2 to 3 mm of aluminum on the outside of the spacer. it will move the tone ring out a hair and give me a little more room for the sensor. right now it's really close to the bracket. with the smaller ring the sensor clears the brake rotor with plenty of room to spare. Maybe I'll try it on the passenger side axle.

waiting on another tone ring to do the passenger side. hope this works....

passenger side almost done, just need to make the sensor bracket.

bracket finished

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8