+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: put on hold for to long. my 73 cuda

awesome work.
    Current Mopars - 01 Viper GTS ACR, 70 Challenger 440-6, 73 Cuda (AAR clone/road racer), 70 Hemi Roadrunner, 01 Ram 4x4 1500, 52 B3B 330 Desoto Hemi, 05 Hemi Durango, 10 PCP Challenger RT 6spd, 91 Stealth RT, 09 Caliber, 14 Ram 2500 Hemi, 76 Dodge 700

Imported. From Detroit. Sneke_Eyez's Avatar

Looking good!
    Are you a New England Mopar Guy?
    Come Check out MassMopar at www.massmopar.net!

1969 Plymouth Satellite Wagon - "ProGroceryGetter".
    1969 Dodge Coronet Post Coupe - "Bckburnr".
    1974 Dodge Dart Swinger Hardtop - Primer Black Cruiser
    1969 Dodge Coronet Deluxe Wagon - Donor for the Satellite Wagon. Being Sold Soon.

Plus a 2002 Dodge Intrepid ES, 2004 Chrysler 300M Special, & a 2001 Chrysler Concorde LXi.

got my drivers side frame rail from AMD today. looks real good so far. i'll post a picture later tonight. gonna start removing the original frame rail this weekend after i compare it to the new one. if all the measurements are good I'm going to swap the hole rail if somethings off I'm just going to section in the area that needs to be replaced.

the original must be pretty tore up; this AMD piece looks very nice.
    Current Mopars - 01 Viper GTS ACR, 70 Challenger 440-6, 73 Cuda (AAR clone/road racer), 70 Hemi Roadrunner, 01 Ram 4x4 1500, 52 B3B 330 Desoto Hemi, 05 Hemi Durango, 10 PCP Challenger RT 6spd, 91 Stealth RT, 09 Caliber, 14 Ram 2500 Hemi, 76 Dodge 700

if you take a look at the picture on page 2 you can see a section of the frame rail that i had cut out rite behind the brake rotor. the metal behind that to the floor board is solid. forward of that has more rot that i didn't cut out, it runs along the outside of the frame rail just above where the k-frame bolts in. when i cut the section of frame rail out i found what i think was a mouse nest. must of trapped moisture which led to the rot in that area.
    didn't get a chance to start pulling the engine out this weekend to start on the frame rail, but i did notice some differences in the frame rails. nothing major, i'll post some pictures when i get a chance.

didn't get to start on the frame rail yet but i did start on the fire wall a little yesterday. just sealed up the old steering shaft hole and punched the new hole for the new shaft.

a little hard to tell from the picture, but did you dimple that hole? looks very original.

yeah punched the hole then dimple it. i don't have dimple dies so i used the hydraulic punch and a large socket. worked out pretty good, would have been nicer with the dimple die but a nice dimple set goes for big bucks. cutting out the driver side frame rail right now, made up a jig to hold everything in place and took a bunch of measurements. never swapped a frame rail out before, just taking my time and crossing my fingers.

got the old frame rail out yesterday and test fitted the new rail. surprisingly the rail fits real nice.

took it back out today to remove the brackets to clear the new k-frame.

gonna test fit it again tomorrow and install the k-frame to make sure everything lines up.
    also ordered a new lower rad support today.
    one difference i noticed with the AMD frame rail was near the rad support. the tab that attaches the frame rail to the upper rad support is welded on, on the OEM rail the tab is stamped out of the upper frame rail. not a problem for me but if your looking for an OEM restoration its just something else you might have to fix.

haven't posted in a while , been busy with work. but i welded in the driver side frame rail and the driver side floor board. also pulled the rear and slid the independent suspension from the charger under the car. not liking the width of the irs also how much i would have to cut the frame rails to make the rear fit or narrow the irs about 5 to 7 inches. gonna look into different independent rears maybe something from 321irs or just use my rear and bolt in a triangulated 4 link from RMS.
    gonna check the width of the rear in my ramble and maybe see if i can slide the charger rear under that.

just ordered a ridetech 4 link for the rear and looking into a couple of solutions for the speed sensors to talk to the transmission. got 3 options: tone rings on the rear outer axles; tone ring on the rear or tranny yoke or gps programable speed sensor with a 5v square wave output signal to tie into the abs computer to trick it into thinking its getting a signal from a speed sensor. only problem with the gps sensor is that if drive over a bridge or through a tunnel the loose of gps will put the transmission into limp mode, second gear and reverse i think until you cycle it off and on..

not much progress, just got my coil overs in.

need to make a transmission cross member or just a temporary mount to hold the transmission where i need it for now. anyone have any pictures or a link of a crossmember of a nag1 in an e-body? i did a google image search and came up empty? a solid mount would be simple but id rather have a poly or rubber mount.

well i finally got around to making the transmission mount today. still needs to be cleaned up a bit but it works and the jack is not supporting the transmission anymore.

Last edited by cps; 02-14-2016 at 04:41 PM.

Looking good!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast