+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: put on hold for to long. my 73 cuda

thanks brads70.
    thinking about trimming up the transmission tunnel this weekend. not sure if I'm going to use the whole thing, just the front section and cap. gonna have to put the dash back in to see where the tunnel lines up and how much needs to get cut off.

Mopar Owner and Builder Rolling_Thunder's Avatar

Nice project!
    1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 5-speed manual / 3.55:1 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed manual / 3.73:1 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 8-71 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / Auto / 3.23 Sure Grip

took the day off from work today. decided just to throw the transmission tunnel from the charger in the car just to get an idea of what I'm in for. looks like i have enough tunnel to use the whole thing. its going to have to move forward a bit and down 5-6 inches? I'm not going to cut any of the original floor and tunnel out until I'm 100% sure it will work. first i think i should spend the rest of the day cleaning up my garage.....

Mopar Owner and Builder Rolling_Thunder's Avatar

break out the tin-snips
    1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 5-speed manual / 3.55:1 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed manual / 3.73:1 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 8-71 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / Auto / 3.23 Sure Grip

drilled out a ton of spot welds tonight, to remove the cap from the transmission tunnel. i think it will be easier to get the cap where it needs to be first then fit the tunnel under it. still not sure if I'm going to replace the whole tunnel or just the front section.

maybe i'll throw the dash cap and center console in tomorrow to help locate the transmission cap.

i didn't get as much as i wanted to get done this past weekend. this seems to be where the center console needs to be, it's sitting directly on the original tunnel. with the charger cap sitting directly on the tunnel the console sits up to high in the back and the front kick panels don't line up with the dash. next I'm going to cut the tranny cap just in front of the four mounting holes, then start trimming the rest of the charger tunnel to fit it to the fire wall and floor.

took a break from the transmission tunnel to finish putting in the for four link, but i kept thinking about the independent rear that i have from the charger. i keep changing my mind between the two. well the past week i figured id had nothing to loose by narrowing the independent rear and if i messed it up i'd still have the four link. so i broke out the tape measurer and took a bunch of measurements. then i started cutting up the IRS.
    first i cut out the center section mounting points of the cradle

then i cut 7 inches out of the front and rear of the cradle.

i squared everything up and welded the rear of the cradle and put two strong tack welds on the front of the cradle. then i made a couple of cuts to the front of the cradle and pulled the metal back to meet up with the left side of the cradle and welded that. cut the two spot welds on the front and trimmed some more metal away, clamped it into position and welded it .

and ended up with this so far

still have to fill the holes on rear section of the cradle, but i double checked all my measurements and they seem to be dead on. i'll pull the 4 link and axle out maybe tomorrow and slide the IRS under the car and see what might be in the way.

with the suspension back on the cradle.

been a while since i did anything to the car. Narrowing the independent rear went well, but i need to cut the rear frame rails to make it fit and I'm not ready to do that just yet. maybe in the future but not now. So i'll be putting the 8 3/4 back under it. i picked up a set of 20 x10 ridler 695 , some BF tires and a rear disk conversion kit from DR DIFF ( nice kit ) slapped it on my 8 3/4. Well i slipped the rear under the car and its too wide, messed up my measurements somewhere. So now i picked up an 8 3/4 from a B-body rear housing, 1.5 inches narrower but i still need another 1.5 inches. just got new billet housing ends from Dr Diff (nice pieces), also some leaf spring hangers are on the way also from Dr Diff for the narrower spring perches on the b-body housing. looks like a rear housing with a width of 53.5 inches and the 20 x 10 rims with a 5.5 inch back spacing will fit perfectly , i think....
    just need to find an empty center section to for the jig before i start cutting the housing. pics to follow.

very interesting build.
    Current Mopars - 01 Viper GTS ACR, 70 Challenger 440-6, 73 Cuda (AAR clone/road racer), 70 Hemi Roadrunner, 01 Ram 4x4 1500, 52 B3B 330 Desoto Hemi, 05 Hemi Durango, 10 PCP Challenger RT 6spd, 91 Stealth RT, 09 Caliber, 14 Ram 2500 Hemi, 76 Dodge 700

I love where your going with this build!
    Build thread!!!http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex

started narrowing the B-body rear this weekend. just taking off .75 inch from each side.

almost ready to weld up. but not this weekend, have to travel for Christmas, i'd rather be in the garage...

I know the feeling.
    Current Mopars - 01 Viper GTS ACR, 70 Challenger 440-6, 73 Cuda (AAR clone/road racer), 70 Hemi Roadrunner, 01 Ram 4x4 1500, 52 B3B 330 Desoto Hemi, 05 Hemi Durango, 10 PCP Challenger RT 6spd, 91 Stealth RT, 09 Caliber, 14 Ram 2500 Hemi, 76 Dodge 700

I was able to get into the garage for a little while today. had to straighten out the axle housing a little bit, then i cleaned up the axle end and tack welded the housing end on.

i did finish welding that housing end just forgot to take a picture...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast