+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: Drop Spindles?

  1. #16
    Dumb Ass Kid Motorcitydak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Casco, Mi
    Posts
    451

    As long as the spindles do not change the mounting locations of the ball joints or the tie rod end, your suspension geometry and bump steer will not change. All that will is the location of where the rotor attaches to it and therefore, the height of the car. This will change your ride height and unless you match that by lowering the rear end of the car an equal amount, it will also change your caster angle (the line drawn between the ball joints). Like some other guys said, this will interfere with your wheels depending on the size. Im having to run 18 inch wheels just so that I can clear those ends but Im pretty sure you can use 17's too if you run stock spindles. You would need 22+ if you use the dropped ones
    [OOIIIIIIIIOO]

  2. #17
    Senior Member dangina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    lethbridge
    Posts
    754

    Quote Originally Posted by Brads70 View Post
    I'm going to try a set of C-Body spindles over the winter. I'm not convinced the magnumforce spindles are the way to go ( in my case?) With the Chrysler kit car they used a c-body spindle.
    I started a post about it over on Cuda-Challenger.com Hope no one minds posting a link to it? Lots of good discussion!

    http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/in...?topic=72437.0
    when they refer to the upper control arms with these dimensions:
    UCA front pivot: 19"
    UCA rear pivot: 16 1/2"

    Is that why the hotchkis have those relocating brackets so the front is 2 1/2" higher than the rear? great read!

  3. #18
    Senior Member Brads70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    797

    Ya Hotchkis is changing the "antidive" they move the front mount position down 1 3/8" and out 1"

  4. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    303

    Quote Originally Posted by dangina View Post
    when they refer to the upper control arms with these dimensions:
    UCA front pivot: 19"
    UCA rear pivot: 16 1/2"

    Is that why the hotchkis have those relocating brackets so the front is 2 1/2" higher than the rear? great read!
    The Hotchkis control arms lower the front mounting position. By removing anti-dive out of the control arm, you minimize caster changes during suspension cycling.

  5. #20
    Senior Member dangina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    lethbridge
    Posts
    754

    Quote Originally Posted by Brads70 View Post
    I'm going to try a set of C-Body spindles over the winter. I'm not convinced the magnumforce spindles are the way to go ( in my case?) With the Chrysler kit car they used a c-body spindle.
    I started a post about it over on Cuda-Challenger.com Hope no one minds posting a link to it? Lots of good discussion!

    http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/in...?topic=72437.0
    If you use c-body spindles on a late b-body, are they dropped from the stock b-body spindles? Also What years are desired for the c-body spindle?

  6. #21
    Senior Member Brads70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    797

    Quote Originally Posted by dangina View Post
    If you use c-body spindles on a late b-body, are they dropped from the stock b-body spindles? Also What years are desired for the c-body spindle?
    I have a set of 1973 (AKA kit car spindles) and a set of 74-78 being delivered at Christmas so I'll post all the dimensions and differences and pictures when I get them. From what" I've been told" they are 1" taller and dropped 1" as compared to an e-body spindle? I wanna have them in my hands to check this out for certain though? I know I'll have to slot the ball joint mounting holes to fit the e-body ball joint.

  7. #22
    Senior Member dangina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    lethbridge
    Posts
    754

    Quote Originally Posted by Brads70 View Post
    I have a set of 1973 (AKA kit car spindles) and a set of 74-78 being delivered at Christmas so I'll post all the dimensions and differences and pictures when I get them. From what" I've been told" they are 1" taller and dropped 1" as compared to an e-body spindle? I wanna have them in my hands to check this out for certain though? I know I'll have to slot the ball joint mounting holes to fit the e-body ball joint.
    I read about being taller but I wasn't sure about them being dropped - it would be interesting to see if they are or not, keep us posted!

  8. #23
    Senior Member Doomed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canaduh!
    Posts
    127

    Quote Originally Posted by autoxcuda View Post
    They don't work with high backspace 17" rims. I think the limit may be a 17" rim with 5" backspacing before the outer tie rod hits the rim. The 5.25-5.5 backspacing you can run with a stock spindle will NOT work with the dropped once. This is because the tie rod is moved lower relative to the rim with the dropped spindle. Probably still an issue with over 5.25 backspace 18" rims too. Be aware and do some checking before hand.

    I had some major issues in this area. I have a CAP full suspension, Magnum Force 2" drop spindles and 17" TTII's. The CAP suspension is designed to be used with stock spindles and once the MF spindles were installed it messed everything up. Lots of things had to be changed. What a headache.
    Attached Images

  9. #24
    Senior Member Brads70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    797

    Quote Originally Posted by dangina View Post
    I read about being taller but I wasn't sure about them being dropped - it would be interesting to see if they are or not, keep us posted!
    I started a new post on the C-Body spindles
    http://www.protouringmopar.com/showt...es-on-a-E-Body

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts