+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wideband O2

Wideband O2

Im looking at buying a wideband O2 gauge to do some tuning and was wondering if anybody had any recomendations on which one to get.
    Nate Kauffman
    71 Dart- tube chassis, C4 front suspension, custom 3 link, SB, t56, 9in, 17x9, 17x10.5

Innovate makes a good one.

I have an Innovate LM2 that I just picked up. It has an analog input to allow you to measure and data log several channels. It also has an OBD plug in that allows you to plug into the more modern cars and datalog right off the can bus. It comes in single and dual O2 versions incase you want to monitor both banks.

J

The LM2 is the one I have been lookin at I think its the one I will be getting.
    Nate Kauffman
    71 Dart- tube chassis, C4 front suspension, custom 3 link, SB, t56, 9in, 17x9, 17x10.5

I just bought an Autometer #3378 wideband gauge. I'll be installing it this winter.

Just getting around to installing this. Question , instructions say to weld the sensor bung to the header collector. I have ceramic coater headers , what do you think of mounting the bung like 4 " down stream in the header adapter so I don't have to screw up my ceramic coat? What difference will it make in the "accuracy" of the readings?
    Thanks Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Brads70 View Post
    Just getting around to installing this. Question , instructions say to weld the sensor bung to the header collector. I have ceramic coater headers , what do you think of mounting the bung like 4 " down stream in the header adapter so I don't have to screw up my ceramic coat? What difference will it make in the "accuracy" of the readings?
    Thanks Brad
    no difference - most mount them in primaries but i have seen it moumnted as far down as at the end of the header itself. been running innovative for years - their new one is just as good or equal to the expennsive AEM setup

If you are only running one sensor, wouldn't it make sense to mount it close to or into an "H" or "X" pipe so you get the full effect of all cylinders? Just wondering.

Any tips on tuning the carb with it? Will it be possible to get the magical 14:1 ratio at all positions of the throttle? I have no idea, never used one?Mine is the Autometer version.

Quote Originally Posted by Brads70 View Post
    Any tips on tuning the carb with it? Will it be possible to get the magical 14:1 ratio at all positions of the throttle? I have no idea, never used one?Mine is the Autometer version.
    You can, but at WOT you want it a bit richer. Not sure what NA engines like, but most of us turbo guys shoot for around 11.5 at WOT in boost. Maybe shoot for low-mid 12's at WOT on an NA engine?

BTW you can cruise lean, like in the 15's.
    Rob M.

Cool thanks!

"why a 4dr?" "why not?" hellion_locdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Innovate makes a good one.
    +1 That's what I have...

With only one sensor, you are only getting an average reading across one bank of the engine. So you could be quite rich in some cylinders and quite lean in others and still show an "ideal" reading at the gage. You still need to read your plugs to get information about fuel distribution. Also, these sensors need to run hot, so the further away from the engine it is the more likely you are to run into problems with this. That's why mounting in the x or h pipe would be a problem. If you really want to get fancy with monitoring all of the cylinders you need to get egt sensors in all of the primary pipes.

FNG

I still run the LM1. Its been good to me so far.

FNG

I know this thread is a little old but, I thought I would jump in on his one. I also own a 2003 srt-4, that I used to race in time attack. I use an innovate AF ratio gauge and comp. The reason I like the innovate over Autometer because, 1. the innovate operates with a wide band o2 sensor. I:E a lot more accurate readings on your AF ratio. 2. The Autometer is just a gauge, with a narrow band o2 sensor. Just a light show in my opinion. If anyone else in interested in this, Innovate just came out with a duel bank AF ratio gauge, o2 system. Since we are running v8s, I am sure you want to know what each bank of cylinders are doing. Since I am going to be running boost, ( D1SC), I am going to get the Innovate set up. I have had the one in srt-4 race car for many years, without one issue.

+ Reply to Thread