+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: interest in big brakes?

Andy's kits are great, I just wanted to build something myself. I also only spent 150.00 on parts that I actually used. I had 4 attempts at different rotors and calipers before I found ones that I liked the fit of. Of all the rotors I tried, most had the hat too deep for the caliper brackets to fit mount bracket. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by dacuda View Post
    What about the kits ar engineering sells? Seems like a good choice for you a,b, and e body guys.viper calipers with stock rotors seems pretty simple.I'm building a setup for my "c" cuz I have to but I'm using stock 73 rotors(60$) and viper calipers. I will have less than $800 in the whole setup which is way less than the $1200 ssbc kit I run now.

I got impatient and have a Dr.Diff setup ordered.....$$$$

Imported. From Detroit. Sneke_Eyez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by astjp2 View Post
    On a side note, I picked up my 4140 prehardened ground plate today to get a pair of adapters cut on the waterjet. It was $95.00 and is supposed to be between 23-30c rockwell hardness. The waterjet guy said it would be about 2 weeks to get them back. I will post pics when I get them in hand.

If someone wants the cad drawing to use a larger diameter rotor with the same caliper I am using, I should be able to do one pretty quick using the drum spindles. Give me a shout. Tim
    Here is my final assembly, 12" rotors, dual piston calipers on the stock drum spindle and hub.
    So you had that black plate made up to allow yourself to mount the Crown Vic calipers and rotors on the stock drum hubs?
    I'm super interested in this option to get discs on the front of my Coronet.
    I have driven a Crown Vic pretty hard before without a ton of brake fade and I know of several good places to track down these parts (aside from the adapter plate).
    I can PM you if you prefer, but I'd be very interested in the plans for this plate in order to get the disc setup going for my car.
    The rear set up looks pretty good too, I'm going to have to start scouring the junkyards for parts to do the rear brake swap as well.
    Are you a New England Mopar Guy?
    Come Check out MassMopar at www.massmopar.net!

1969 Plymouth Satellite Wagon - "ProGroceryGetter".
    1969 Dodge Coronet Post Coupe - "Bckburnr".
    1974 Dodge Dart Swinger Hardtop - Primer Black Cruiser
    1969 Dodge Coronet Deluxe Wagon - Donor for the Satellite Wagon. Being Sold Soon.

Plus a 2002 Dodge Intrepid ES, 2004 Chrysler 300M Special, & a 2001 Chrysler Concorde LXi.

I just noticed this posting, yes I made the brake brackets, I had a company cut them out on a waterjet from chromoloy steel. They are a tad heavy but they will never fail. I also looked into using the SRT Jeep brembo's and they would be wicked to install but also expensive because you need to have custom wheels made for 1500 each to clear the calipers and have the correct offset or custom rotors made. The cost of the rotors are 680 each but that gives you a 15" x 1.375" rotor with the right hat height to clear some of the more common wheels. So for me, I am sticking with crown vic stuff for now, another mistake I made was using a 2003 explorer solid rear rotor, the 2006 crown vic uses a vented rotor, so for maximum performance, I will consider using them instead and they would be balanced front and rear. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling_Thunder View Post
    Wilwood calipers do not have weather seals around the pistons - not good for street use IMO

I'd give RMS a call and ask about this. I know he sells these and thre are quite a few guys doing a lot of driving with these setups. I have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling_Thunder View Post
    Wilwood calipers do not have weather seals around the pistons - not good for street use IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by 69DartGT View Post
    I'd give RMS a call and ask about this. I know he sells these and thre are quite a few guys doing a lot of driving with these setups. I have one.
    The older versions of some models of the Wilwoods didn't have weather seals, in particular some of the old 4 piston Dynalites. I know for sure that their 6 piston calipers do now have them, and I believe they have added them to their other models as well.
    '74 Duster- '71 340 Demon tribute
    '72 Challenger (daily driver!)
    '71 DartGT EL5 (#65 in the GT registry)
    '71 DartGT GK6 ( #69 in the GT registry)

Mopar Owner and Builder Rolling_Thunder's Avatar

Damn time flies.... as most have gathered this idea didn't make it past my brain... not because of a failed theory - more like a joined the military and got stationed on the other side of the country. haha I did do some mock ups last time I was home and I plan on making preliminary brackets on leave next time (2 weeks) --- then i'm off to the sandbox for 9-12 months.
    1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 5-speed manual / 3.55:1 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed manual / 3.73:1 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 8-71 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / Auto / 3.23 Sure Grip

I just noticed this posting, yes I made the brake brackets, I had a company cut them out on a waterjet from chromoloy steel. They are a tad heavy but they will never fail. I also looked into using the SRT Jeep brembo's and they would be wicked to install but also expensive because you need to have custom wheels made for 1500 each to clear the calipers and have the correct offset or custom rotors made. The cost of the rotors are 680 each but that gives you a 15" x 1.375" rotor with the right hat height to clear some of the more common wheels. So for me, I am sticking with crown vic stuff for now, another mistake I made was using a 2003 explorer solid rear rotor, the 2006 crown vic uses a vented rotor, so for maximum performance, I will consider using them instead and they would be balanced front and rear. Tim

I had viper brembo's on my car and I didn't have $680 in the whole setup! i made billet mounts and got the rotors from DrDiff.
    drive it like you stole it!

official RMS track car

Quote Originally Posted by Demonizer View Post
    The older versions of some models of the Wilwoods didn't have weather seals, in particular some of the old 4 piston Dynalites. I know for sure that their 6 piston calipers do now have them, and I believe they have added them to their other models as well.

I have the 13" wilwoods on my car now,for a few years, and I have never had a problem. I just got back from racing in the rain! I think that is old news about the seals.
    drive it like you stole it!

official RMS track car

This is an old thread, but I used Crown Vic rotors and Lexus LS400 calipers for my conversion.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...ml#Post2282782

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by wracks71 View Post
    I had viper brembo's on my car and I didn't have $680 in the whole setup! i made billet mounts and got the rotors from DrDiff.
    I bought 2 gen viper brembos for $300 and pads for $100 and the brackets for the 13" brakes through dr diff back in the day...Their pretty simple, If I ever get the time I should get some made and sell them...
    Build thread!!!http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?796-1971-Speedipus-Rex

I put 14" brembos from a Mustang on my car. Simple and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Garner7555 View Post
    I put 14" brembos from a Mustang on my car. Simple and cheap.
    Looks like factory style suspension. Nice!

I get disappointed when some mention they have these fancy large brakes, but then fail to also mention they are running a coil over suspension setup and Mustang II spindles. That's like cheating, because it requires way more investment than just upgrading the brakes.

So, how'd you do it? What's it take to get those bad boys on a 73+ disc spindle?
    Last edited by JoesEdge; 02-18-2018 at 01:05 PM.
    Joey G.
    '74 Duster

Quote Originally Posted by JoesEdge View Post
    Looks like factory style suspension. Nice!

I get disappointed when some mention they have these fancy large brakes, but then fail to also mention they are running a coil over suspension setup and Mustang II spindles. That's like cheating, because it requires way more investment than just upgrading the brakes.

So, how'd you do it? What's it take to get those bad boys on a 73+ disc spindle?
    Have a look at this thread, it give a lot of details.
    http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/in...,122780.0.html

These will work with drum brake spindles or disc brake spindles. Very cost effective way to upgrade, even with the factory ford calipers it is a huge upgrade.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3