+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dry sump Hemi

Dry sump Hemi

Ive been reading up on dry sump oil systems for a while and I like everything that I read. My question is what would be required to run one on the new 5.7 Hemi? My first concern is the stock oil pump. I read a book when I did my first 5.7 swap 2 years ago that commented about the factory oil pump system and how it could handle more flow and demand. Could it run a dry sump system?

Edit: I wanted to add that I understand that a dry sump requires at least 2 pumps. I figured that the stock pump can have the pickup tube re routed to the dry sump tank and feed the motor, then the second one can scavenge the oil from the pan and return it to the tank
    Last edited by Motorcitydak; 02-08-2011 at 05:57 AM.
    [OOIIIIIIIIOO]

You could do it like that but why do you wanna use the stock pump? in a old school engine I understand cos you need to turn the distributor. But not in 5.7/6.1 Hemi. In every drypump has at least two suction and one pressure. I have been thinking that I gonna put one in my engine. Usually you connect the dry pump pressure line to oil filter and then to block main oli galley and you can block off original pump. You can use relocation oilfilter system for hassle free operation of oil chance. I cant think of any reason why use the stock pump in dry sump configuration.
    Custom Creations Oy (inc.)
    ceecee.fi
    Follow me at FB-> custom creations oy

I"ve heard that the GM LSx pumps fit the Hemi but I haven't tried it. Maybe you could adapt an LS7 pump to work...

J

I could use the stock pump and filter location, well because its already there and factory engineered. Seems like I can just leave it in place and let it do what its supposed to, then build around that. There is nothing wrong with the stock pump/oil system that im aware of. Id just prefer it to be a dry sump instead.

What is there to gain by running the GM pump?
    [OOIIIIIIIIOO]

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcitydak View Post
    I could use the stock pump and filter location, well because its already there and factory engineered. Seems like I can just leave it in place and let it do what its supposed to, then build around that. There is nothing wrong with the stock pump/oil system that im aware of. Id just prefer it to be a dry sump instead.
    Yep, just that in your first writing you wanted to use drysump pump/tank with original oilpump and pick up. Why mix two systems that are totally different style, pressure, volyme/minute, Dry systems oil is cooler that wetsump and original oilpump gets warm when engine running. Why run "cooler" oil through "oil warmer" before getting it in the engine. Choose one and go with that. Most important thing useing drysump in the streets is that you should cover the pumps drivebelt so that nothing can get between gears and belt.

If your not doing anything super special like twinturbo where turbos are down low next to oilpan, or looking pro-stock style those last horses that you find from excess oil over rotary assembly there is not really reason to use drysump. Like you sayd stock stuff is a good stuff.
    Custom Creations Oy (inc.)
    ceecee.fi
    Follow me at FB-> custom creations oy

+ Reply to Thread