+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 'best' rear suspension street/track use

'best' rear suspension street/track use

Hey guys, A few days ago i got into an accident, someone rear ended me while i was stopped; they were going 40mph+ when they hit me. Needless to say the dusters totalled, and im looking for a new shell to swap all my parts onto (mechanical pieces, front suspension are all still good). I previously had mopar performance leaf springs, all of the suspension otherwise is fairly stock, but with big torsion bars.

In addition to the 5pt roll cage and subframe connectors, i plan on mini tubbing it, bracing the transmission cross member better, and reinforce the trunk for my fuel cell w/ 1x1" tubing. Since i am basically starting with a clean slate what do you guys think i should do for the rear suspension? I am looking at:
    Hotchkis leaf springs/sway bar/pinion snubber
    or
    RMS street lynx-or build my own 4 link

I eventually wanted to install a four link, but would it perform (i know perform is vague/broad) that much better than a nice hotchkis setup? The RMS is a bit more expensive, but if its as good as it looks, id consider it or building my own kit. Most of my a-bodies use will be on the street, but im always for a track day/friday night test-n-tune, etc...
    Thanks guys for the input and advice

Hotchkis Mopar Guy

Sorry to hear about your ride, looks like a helluva bump to bend the leafs like that. I know I'm biased, but to keep costs down for now while you do the rebuild, I'd just throw on some Hotchkis Leafs.

Well, I've kind of thought of it this way...the early trans am series ran cars in their mostly stock configuration at a level that was beyond the capability that most of us can drive at. Ergo, tires only care about force, not the method applying the force. Hence, a leaf spring can perform very well in a handling application once you get them dialed in to the rates and frequencies for the intended application.

By contrast, a coil spring or coil over set up does reduce weight of the car's total number, which is always a good thing. They also allow you to quickly and easily change rates and if you need to have muptiple rates to change around, and they are more compact to carry. However the conversion is costly and/or labor intensive. I think this is where a lot of leaf spring set ups are looked down upon because when converting to a coil over set up, someone usually provides/recommends the matching rates to achieve good balance. Very few people I've seen on web boards go to the trouble to match leaf spring rates the same way, plus, altering leaf springs 50 pounds up or down is a chore compared to simply swapping out a coil.

So, if you plan to set it and forget it and are on a tight budget, go leafs. If you want to change up rates to match activities, don't mind carry an inventory of springs, and have the budget to convert, go coils.

thanks guys for the opinions. HP2, that about sums up my thoughts. i dont really care about the labor to install, cost is a fair factor to consider, but not the end all deciding factor. I do like the adjustability of a four link w/ coilovers, but i dont think id be moving things around all too much once i had it dialed in. For now its mostly a daily driver until i have more time to make it more oriented towards and take it to weekend track events.

DustBull – WOW! We hope your’re okay! Sorry to hear about the accident. The photo definitely says a lot.
    Hotchkis Sport Suspension
    Toll Free: 888-735-6425

Luckily both you and the dana survived!

Thanks hotchkis. I'm ok, only a broken nose, 5 stitches, and neck pain so far...I've had a head/neckache since I got hit though.
    But I've decided to go with your rear leaf and front/rear sway bar kits. I've only heard good things about them, and as much as I'd like to make a custom four link for the rear, I don't think I'll ever be able to use it's benefits or reach the limitations of the leafs. I am wondering though: if drag raced, is there a lot of axle wrap with these springs? My old mopar perf springs were meant for drag racing, and I never had any axle wrap issues...

72BBSwinger- yea, that's one thing I keep telling myself is that the accident could've been a lot worse, and I'm lucky that's all it was. The dana moved 2" forward with the impact (with it's 'new modified pinion angle' haha and the engine/trans being pushed back from inertia) so the driveshaft yoke is pushed all the way into the t56, so I hope it's ok too.
    Last edited by DustBull; 11-01-2011 at 08:58 AM.

Hotchkis Mopar Guy

The Hotchkis leafs are actually built with extra forward spring to prevent wrap up.

Quote Originally Posted by rrunner68 View Post
    The Hotchkis leafs are actually built with extra forward spring to prevent wrap up.
    Just what i was looking for, thanks! Now i need to figure out how wide a tire i can fit in the front and back to put all that stuff to good use haha

Quote Originally Posted by DustBull View Post
    Thanks hotchkis. I'm ok, only a broken nose, 5 stitches, and neck pain so far...I've had a head/neckache since I got hit though.
    But I've decided to go with your rear leaf and front/rear sway bar kits. I've only heard good things about them, and as much as I'd like to make a custom four link for the rear, I don't think I'll ever be able to use it's benefits or reach the limitations of the leafs. I am wondering though: if drag raced, is there a lot of axle wrap with these springs? My old mopar perf springs were meant for drag racing, and I never had any axle wrap issues...

72BBSwinger- yea, that's one thing I keep telling myself is that the accident could've been a lot worse, and I'm lucky that's all it was. The dana moved 2" forward with the impact (with it's 'new modified pinion angle' haha and the engine/trans being pushed back from inertia) so the driveshaft yoke is pushed all the way into the t56, so I hope it's ok too.

DustBull – WOW! That must have been quite an impact. We knew it had to be with the leaf springs bent like that. Neck pain is no fun, we hope you feel better soon. This sort of stuff makes us think that high-back seats and 3-point seat belts are good upgrades.

Thanks for considering Hotchkis springs. Our leaf springs are built with forward bias to prevent wrap-up during hard acceleration.
    Hotchkis Sport Suspension
    Toll Free: 888-735-6425

+ Reply to Thread