+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 73 Cuda Road Racer/AAR clone build

73 Cuda Road Racer/AAR clone build

Afterspending alot of time on other Mopar forms, I found this one which seems to bemore in line with what I am currently doing. I thought I would share somepictures and information on my current Cuda project. Started life as a plainjane 318 AT car that like many went through a lot of owners who all had theirideas of what "cool" was. when I got it, it had a 70 340 and 727 init. Unfortunately, the car was really abused with every corner having beenhit/smashed. Since I already have a 70 Challenger 440-6 that is basicallystock-ish, I thought I would go a bit more radical on this one. Most of thethings I did on this car so far are a result of just wanting to do it (verseshaving to), meaning I could have used stock or stock style pieces in a lotareas without near as much pain as I incurred on myself, however this is aproject so I thought/think it was worth it

Here is what I started with
    Attached Images

The following pictures wont be in order, but should provide an idea of what I have done.

Here are some of the body issues.
    Attached Images

Here are some pics of my rear suspension, I went with a 4 link.
    Attached Images

this is my rear brake setup, basically it is a 93 Cobra rear caliper (cheap, readily available and offers a parking brake feature). By welding the mount to the axle housing I can continue to use the stock timkin bearing setup on the axles.
    Attached Images

Here is the front suspension, I used firm feel components for most of it and built my own brake system.
    Attached Images

what I was trying to show in the previous post was the K fram mods; full perimter welded and reenforced steering box mount and idler arm mount.

Front brakes - used stock front disc brake rotors and then put them onto a brake lathe and cut off the outter rotor leaving a hub. then ordered some Wilwood hats and rotors as well as some used Viper calipers. Had to make the caliper mounts.
    Attached Images

Here is the engine - bottom line is that it is a stroker 340, now 416 CI. I used a kit from MRL Performance and HIGHLY recommend them. Mike there is a true Mopar guy and always willing to answer whatever quesitons you have. This engine is running a Comp roller cam, Edelbrock performer heads, steel adjustable rockers, F&B EFI 6 pac, and TTI headers.
    Attached Images

Sweet ride.

Home grown I like it! So when are you going 5or 6spd?

Hotchkis Mopar Guy

Very cool project. I look forward to seeing it at speed!

Any detail shots of you power steering pump and hose routing? What pump (kit?) is that?

What water pump is that? Same mounting holes for accessories as stock?
    Spring Fling XXVII
    May 11 & 12, 2013
    Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA
    Thrus: Track Day, Fri: Caravan, Malibu Cruise,& Kickoff Party, Sat: Cruise-In
    www.cpwclub.com ....

Spring Fling Speed Festival
    May 9, 2013
    Largest Mopar Track day in the country five years running
    All Mopars welcome: New, old, AMC...
    Newbies welcome. We will have instructors on hand
    Lunchtime free parade laps
    Info: www.alltimeracing.com
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72p5vVwjRkk

I thought about a 5 or 6 speed many times, however since I had the 4spd I figured I would use it ad see where I end up. Should this car work out successfully and prove its reliability i will be looking for a 5 or 6 speed eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by autoxcuda View Post
    Any detail shots of you power steering pump and hose routing? What pump (kit?) is that?

What water pump is that? Same mounting holes for accessories as stock?
    i didnt use a "kit" I researched what I needed and wanted, then pieced it all together. I wanted a remote reservior style systme (just because), but more to the point I wanted to be able to adjust the PS feel. A Mopar box is rated at about 800 PSI, most newer pump put out 1200+ PSI (some GM ones go as high as 1600). I talked to Firm Feel and they told me that they know some guys are using newer Mopar pumps and have not had a problem yet, however the wrong pump will eventually blow the seals. what I ended up doing is running an AGR PS pump (801402), a speedway remote reservoir (on sale), FC3000 lines, and steel high pressure lines. I also inserted a Heidts PS regulator and a hydraulic pressure guage thinking that I will be able to adjust the pressure up or down to fine tune steering. Adding the regulator and gauge did complicate the overall system and it remains to be seen how it will all work. Here are some pictures.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 70chall440 View Post
    I thought about a 5 or 6 speed many times, however since I had the 4spd I figured I would use it ad see where I end up. Should this car work out successfully and prove its reliability i will be looking for a 5 or 6 speed eventually.
    the water pump is a high flow PRW unit (PN 1431800). Yes the mounting holes and accessorie holes are in the same location as stock. It is a nice unit and allows you to run AN fittings on the hose ends.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast